When considering methods and equipment that will secure the best outcomes for clients, research and evidence is key.
Thankfully, there’s no shortage of talented researchers putting their minds to the task. One such researcher, Professor Dr. Hans Günter Lindner from TH Köln University of Applied Sciences, studied the physical effects of four common bed transfers on both the carers and the clients.
In his study, Professor Lindner compared four different methods of carrying out the following common manoeuvres:
1. Transferring a client into a side-lying position ready for hygiene tasks
2. Transferring a client who’s gradually slid down the bed back up to a higher position
3. Repositioning for pressure ulcer prevention
4. Repositioning to allow the application or removal of a patient sling
These four common transfers were each completed via the four following methods:
• 2 carers without a slide sheet
• 2 carers using a slide sheet
• 1 carer using a two part sliding system in conjunction with a ceiling hoist
• 1 carer using a VENDLET system
Each transfer was filmed for later analysis.
Using a specially designed software, Prof. Dr Lindner conducted a detailed analysis of the duration of transfers, actions and movements during transfers as well as facial expressions and gestures.
It was concluded that for all four care tasks, the carers using the VENDLET:
• Physically touched the client fewer times
• Bent their backs to a lesser angle
• Put less force into the bend
• Bent their backs for a shorter duration
How this study differs from others
Prof. Dr Lindner’s methodology involved a purely objective way of collecting quantitative data. Previous studies that compared methods of transfer relied on personal accounts from carers. These accounts are all subjective, and therefore data is vulnerable to variation in personal opinions.
This makes Prof. Dr Lindner’s findings all the more important, as they support the results of previous qualitative studies and therefore reduce any uncertainty.
Read the original article in full at vendlet.com